Creating Opportunities

header photo

Recognition of Foreign Qualifications

There is no single authority in the United States for the recognition of foreign degrees and other qualifications. International agreements and the practice in the U.S. education system and labor market recognize the existence of three competent authorities for recognition matters:
The admitting school or higher education institution, for students who seek to study in the United States and who are presenting credits or qualifications earned abroad;
The hiring employer, for individuals seeking work and who are presenting degrees or other qualifications earned abroad; and
State or territorial licensing boards, for individuals seeking to practice regulated professions in a jurisdiction of the United States and who are presenting degrees or other qualifications earned abroad.
Many, if not most, of these competent authorities in turn depend on expert comparability recommendations prepared by credential evaluation services. Credential evaluation services are independent organizations that perform analyses of non-U.S. qualifications and issue recommendations as to how a particular qualification compares to a similar qualification or set of qualifications in the U.S. education system, labor market or the professions. Credential evaluations vary in cost depending on the complexity of the analysis and the amount of documentation available, and are generally paid for either by the individual or occasionally by an employer.
If the U.S. employer or state licensing board recommends that you use a specific credential evaluation service, then use the service, or one of the services, recommended by them.
Go to Professional Recognition for information on U.S. regulated professions and their credential evaluation procedures.  Many professions use or recommend specialized credential evaluation services.
If no service is recommended, then you can select a credential evaluation service yourself.  You can search for credential evaluation services on the Internet, but you should know that there is no federal or state regulation of such services.  However, there are two national associations of credential evaluation services that have published standards for membership, affiliations to national international higher education associations and are frequently linked to and used by federal agencies, state agencies, educational institutions and employers.
National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) is an association of 19 credential evaluation services with admission standards and an enforced code of good practice.
Association of International Credentials Evaluators (AICE) is an association of 10 credential evaluation services with a board of advisors and an enforced code of ethics.
Neither the U.S. Department of Education nor USNEI endorses or recommends any individual credential evaluation service.

Approved International Education Evaluation Companies in States A-M

Approved International Education Evaluation Companies in States N‐W